Saturday, July 17, 2010

Some things just take time

Helloooo. Hope everyone's having a great weekend. Mine was off to a great start with a fantastic open studio this morning, the printing of a new design (ooooooh, more on that soon!), and then a relaxing afternoon catching up on to-do's, and preparing for my trip away.

Did I mention that I'm off to Malaysia and Bangkok next week? Yay! My parents and brothers are all overseas at the moment so we're congregating in KL and going to relax by the beach for a few days. I'm soooo in need of a warm, restful break, and some quality family time will be great too. And then I'm visiting a good friend in Bangkok for quality girly time. 'Tis going to be awesome.

Anyway, the other thing I wanted to say was thank you to all the people who left really kind comments on my last post! The thing that excited me most was that so many people found my little quote from back in 2006 inspirational. I think it is so important to know that some dreams might take a long time to realise, but with focus and hard work you can get there in the end. Back in 2006 it really did seem like a pipe dream, but it came true not because I have the most amazing skills or did the right uni degree, but due to a lot of hard work.

Speaking of things that take a long time to come around, here are a couple of projects I've been planning/working on for AGES that I finally finished and photographed!

First up, my roman blinds!!!


Handmade roman blinds in my flat

I can't tell you how much time and research went into making these. There are soooo many different techniques outlined on the net, and so many contradictions. So I bought books. I questioned anyone I knew who'd made them for tips. I called Suzie Fry. I drove an hour across town to a blind making company. I ad-libbed. And the eventual result was great.


Handmade roman blinds in my flat - featuring Kangaroo Paw (available soon!)

I did take pictures of the process, and I do plan to post a tute eventually. But my #1 tip for now - use double sided fabric tape instead of stitching across. It'll be your best friend ;)

My other project that's been sitting idle since September last year - reupholstering my armchair!

Here's the before shot:

photo
Armchair reupholstery - before

And after:

photo
Armchair reupholstery - after!

Nothing fancy, just a nice plain fabric that allows me to decorate it up with different cushions and make it suit any room (how nice would it look if I had floorboards??). I went for a lovely warm grey Oatmeal fabric.

I won't begin to tell you of the disgustingness that awaited me when I pulled off the old covers. Ewww. New foam was definitely in order (thanks Suz for collecting it for me!).


Armchair reupholstery - closeup

It was the first time I've upholstered anything and it's far from perfect, but I'm happy with it :)

xx

39 comments:

patchworkoncentralpark said...

Wow, that armchair looks so professional! Have a great holiday!
Lynn

nikkishell said...

Your blinds look amazing! and your chair looks great. I have a similar chair which needs reupholstering, it currently has faux leather covers, ugh! Where did you buy your foam? i have a feeling mine may be in a similar state.

Bianca Jae Makes Stuff said...

Gorgeous!! Have a wonderful break with the family xox

Frankie and Ray said...

Hooray for you! Your skills are amazing, I hope you get hours and hours of pleasure looking at your new chair and blinds. Oh, and enjoy your holiday!

sooz said...

I think most good things take time - or at least you really appreciate the things that take time. I have to say Lara you've always struck me as someone who has a pretty clear idea of what you want and has done the work to get it, so I have no doubts about you getting those dreams realized. I'm a huge believer in the will=way thing. Your blinds are wonderful and I can't wait for the tutorial so I can make mine!

yardage girl said...

Brilliant results - good for you! So nice to see you yesterday, and have a wonderful break - you completely deserve it! Nic x

kirsten said...

truly impressive! the blinds and the chair. they look excellent.

enjoy the holiday in wonderfully warmer climes!

Renae said...

Wow!! They look fantastic!
Enjoy your break :)

Kate said...

Those blinds are amazing (great new fabric). Great chair too!

Fer said...

I know what you mean about Roman blinds, I've made 6 for our house and still have one to go. I have one book that I've gone by which has been great. You've done a fantastic job! The chair also looks great

Andrea said...

Your blinds look great! I need to make some too and have been looking up all the various ways to attempt - getting more confused in the process! I would love to hear what way you eventually went with yours. Have a nice holiday!

Anonymous said...

Lara, you are so inspiring.. I hope one day I have the time to do more 'creating'... my love to you Teags and Bella xo Bec
PS I actually blogged today.... miracle LOL

Jac said...

Nice to see you made your bed for the "after" armchair pic! teeheehee.
Looks great. Upholstery is hard work.
And those blinds look fantastic! I looked into making them as well but it was just getting confusing. I know your tutes always are clear and make sense so I'll just sit here and wait for it. :)
Have a wonderful holiday!!!
JacRan xo

Michelle said...

What amazing work you have done, on both counts! The blinds look fantastic. I was always going to make them for my old house, and in the end we went commercial. I was just too chicken :(

Would love to see a tute though - I still have two windows to do in my laundry. It faces west and needs help!

Suziam said...

Chair came out awesome! Now to do mine *scared face* :D

Spin Spin said...

Holy crap, that's great Lara! Those blinds rock and the chair...wow. I've got two similar chairs and never actually thought about becoming a full-on upholsterer, but why not? Genius as ever.

Vanessa said...

The blinds are gorgeous! I'm with all the other commenters - can't wait for the tute. My new house could sorely do with some nice minimal window treatments. :)

Juicy Roo said...

A new print oooooh excitement. Your goodies all look fab. And I remember when you first moved into your pad you were sold by the natural light - how right you were, your photos always look awesome. Safe travels xo

joyflea said...

Hey Lara, Lovely work. Just wanted to ask you about the foam you replaced the old foam with. Did you use a special foam, or just a chair foam from Clarke Rubber? Also, did you wrap the foam with wadding before you covered it? The reason I'm asking is because I recently replaced a cushion on one of my roadside armchairs and it kind of lacks in support. It's already gone a bit flat. I need to find a better foam supplier. Hope you can help.

melissa said...

I LOVE those blinds - can't wait for the tute. I recently used your tute to put a zipper in my cushion covers and you explained it so well.

I have a house full of roman blinds to make so I need allt he help I can get!

sara w said...

Custom blinds can be really expensive-I just posted about them myself. You did a great job with these and I love the print.

Anonymous said...

Lara,
I'm a fan of yours. I live in Bangkok. If you have a moment, contact me when you are here.
Kritika

Tali said...

well, they look fab! you are so DIY woman! :)

Jen said...

Your blinds looks fantastic!

Ria said...

hi!so u've been to kl?i'm a malaysian.wht do you think of my country?hope u had lotsa fun here.i'm in a midst of re-upholstering my settee too.good job on wht u've done wit urs.they look superb!

Unknown said...

wow! what a great blog...I really like it :)
stock photos | stock images | royalty-free images

melekler korusun final said...

thank you

Unknown said...

Hi, Its really nice to see your own designs, 247 blinds offers different types of roman blinds with different shades.

havlu-dantel said...

Hi... wonderful decorations. I prefer the wood in my house. Simple and elegant. Are very talented, good holidays

Luna Levy said...

congratulations on everything lara - glad you are doing so well :)

Anonymous said...

oh what great projects you got done..really wonderful..I love the armchair..i got a similar one a few months ago and it has a great blue colour.....

Anonymous said...

Wow, I have 3 similar smelly chairs waiting to be upholstered too. Just wondering did you use wool? and where did you get your fabric from?

MISZEK POLSKA said...

superb

wallspank said...

I've never seen fabric featuring kangaroo paws before, the blinds look amazing.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, awesome site. I thought the topics you posted on were very interesting. I tried to add your RSS to my feed reader and it a few. take a look at it, hopefully I can add you and follow.

designer fabrics

Anonymous said...

LOVE the chair!! Would love a tute on that - I have a similar chair that needs some love. I'm a bit scared too start as I would be winging it and worried I wouldn't finish it.

Tania said...

Damn I am IMPRESSED. I mean I was suitably connipting at the blinds but the armchair is perfection. You're going to have to rip up the carpet.

fatmagülün suçu ne 3. bölüm izle said...

thank you

Unknown said...

Hi,
Nice blog on roman blinds. I have also tried using it in my residential area, really its nice to use. 247 blinds offers a range of blinds at different size ranges.

For more info:
http://www.247blinds.co.uk/roman_blinds.asp