Thursday, December 20, 2007

An amazing feeling of relief

You know what's a good feeling? Deciding NOT to buy a particular property. The last week has been sooo stressful with to-ing and fro-ing about a place that we really liked, going through the insanely stressful negotiation & organising process... putting everything else in life on hold basically. Thinking "is it worth what they're asking?? should we go higher?? this place IS a bit unconventional, is it really a good investment??". And then bring in Pete's dad, who has a look through and tells us there's structural problems, a leaking roof and a poor reno job done. And now just feelings of relief. We can just let it go.

You would have loved this place though. Converted commercial property with a funky rough exterior, huge living area, high ceilings, commercial kitchen, so many quirks. Perfect home office, so much space to splash my fabric around. But oh well. Some things are just too good to be true sometimes.

No wonder they wanted us to sign without a building inspection being done. Lesson learnt.

Okay so what's going on outside of my own head - oh that's right, Christmas!!! Time to go enjoy it :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Never, never, NEVER sign anything without a building inspector. And look for a good one. A good inspector is worth his/her weight in gold! I am in Boston, otherwise I'd recommend the inspector we used! Good luck in your future hunt and Merry Christmas! :)

nicole lecht said...

girl i totally did the same thing..good rule of thought that i learned is to not jump on the first "home" that passes you by...if it was ment to be it will all fall into place rather then put a burdening pressure on your life. but you did the right thing and even better is that you learned something from it...jay and i have passed on a handfull of houses that we really loved because it wouldn't of turned into a money pit.
p.s.- miss ya girl, when are we going to get this book thing back on track? shoot me one.

Anna said...

arrg house buying seems so stressful, but it is good that you let it go, or else you would have risked losing a lot of money!

Amy said...

Nicole's right -- and since I'm also on the hunt for a home to call my own, I nearly bought one that I liked, only to think twice about its location. So I'm still scouting around and hopefully I'll find the one for me real soon. :)

Good luck!

Cosy said...

I hear you on the property buying terrors! But once it's passed and you know it wasn't the right one (though it felt absolutely so right!), you feel such relief! There will always be another (I keep telling myself!).

Danielle said...

what a shame it was too good to be true! sounds like you guys definately did the right thing! hopefully the right home for you won't be too far down the track... :-)

Wendy said...

Yikes, it really does sound stressful! (Reminds me of when I try on a piece of clothing I feel guilty about buying and feel relieved when it doesn't fit right.. except that a property is obviously a much weightier decision!)

And how exciting that you found a Kinokuniya in Sydney! It's so easy to sink tons of time there looking through all the deliciousness. Sigh, it's so wonderful :)

mizu designs said...

I know, I know, the property thing is emotionally fraught and scary and wonderful all at the same time. I've just been there myself. You'll find the right thing, don't worry.

Louise said...

Christmas plus house buying equals high stress levels! Good on you for not buying without an inspection. I have been making a few things for xmas gifts using your fabric - thought you might be interested. Photos are on my blog. Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

it will take time :)
i am still looking after months.
good luck and merry xmas!

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

I was speaking to an area business owner who bought the amazing *looking* commercial property they work out of + he said every bit of money they make seemes to go into the building, not only the morgage, but reinforcing the structure, leaking roof, etc.
I have yet to dive into the world of home ownership because it terrifies me.
Congratulations on your non-purchase.