Saturday, January 27, 2007

uppercase

I've been dying to blog about this since Wednesday, but Pete's camera suddenly went 'blind'. It displays black, and takes pictures of black! So i'm back to my crappy old Ixus for now - 'scuse the poor quality. Anyway, I was roaming around Mailing Rd in Canterbury the other day which is known for its old worldly shops and antiquey stores, and at the back of one antiques store i found something i'd always wanted:


It's an old printers typecase drawer - yay! Just the sort of thing you hope to find when rummaging at the back of those places. And how cute it looks with little ornamenty stuff in the compartments! For any Melbourne peeps who want one too - there's about 6 left in the store, selling for $40 each. Not bad.

Hey I have a question to ask. Does anyone know who makes the beaker/mug thing drawn below? I found it on a blog somewhere and thought it was ingenious (so much easier to hold that a useless teacup handle!) but didn't bookmark it :(

Update: It was on Sia and Bloesem's blogs - thanks Sia!! The cups are by Mokkatanten. After all this effort I should go out get some :)



I had to laugh because their stockists were located in Berlin, Copenhagen, Amsterdam ... and Brunswick. Yep, good old Sydney Road, Brunswick, 10 mins from my apartment.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lara,

Mokkatanten is the place to be for those mugs. I featured this site on my blog (4 January), but the credits should go to Irene from Bloesem!

have a nice weekend!

Anonymous said...

ooohhh that little drawer on wall thing is ace, would love me one of those. Not sure what for though...? Maybe I could start collecting something....

Lara said...

Oh thanks Sia!! It was your blog that I saw them on but somehow forgot where I had been - thankyou!!

leslie said...

nice, nice find! can you email me the shop where you found them (if you can remember)? might need to make a trip over there myself...

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's what's been happening with my camera as well....It sucks. Love love your typeset drawer. I've been wanting to get one for ages because I actually collect little blocks of typeset from flea markets...

Unknown said...

Hi Lara
Thanks for the pic of the printers drawer - I have been hunting for one for ages! Can you send me the name of the store as I think I may need to go out and purchase one this weekend!
Cheers
Kara

Zedd said...

Hey Lara!
We met at Khan and Marika's farewell BBQ (Zoe, the badge girl). I love the printer's drawer...where exactly did you get it from?
Cheers!
Z

Lara said...

Hehe, for anyone wondering where the typecase came from, well, i forget the name of the shop but it's basically the only large antiques store on Mailing Road, Canterbury. It's on the railway line side of the street about half way along. It's built into an old theatre apparently so maybe the building looks something like that - I didn't pay attention ;)